Once Upon a Tine

Monday, February 18, 2008

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The work week is shaping up to be a busy one. I have a record 1,400 connectors in inventory to complete in the next day or two. I find myself eating breakfast in the truck a lot lately, always on the commute that time of day. This morning I dunked a cinnamon roll in milk, had one bite and vowed to eat later. Mel called during my drive to coordinate schedules for the day. We ran an errand that eventually led us to downtown Glendale, the antique shopping capitol of Arizona. The place is far removed from the city around it. With quaint shops, streetlights and tourists crawling around it was endearing. We found our hungry selves at a nondescript Mexican restaurant named Bitzee Mama's for breakfast. They do a stellar breakfast for under $5. Much to my dismay, Mel ordered chicken fried steak with country gravy. I supersceeded his selection by asking for a bowl of fruit. A little ruffage after all of that lard would be in order. The food was exceptional. They rivaled grandma's cooking right down to the pre-buttered white toast of death that I enjoyed every bite of.
Spell checker is still not working. I'm sure I will hear about it.




I found an over-the-top French toast recipe that I'm going to try out on Mel, as the man loves his breakfast. By using croissants instead of regular bread, and cream instead of milk, it is enough to harden anyone's arteries. But since we participated in chicken fried steak this morning, this almost seems healthy in comparison.

INGREDIENTS:
5 eggs

2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Triple Sec - yes, not kidding
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
Stale croissants
Maple syrup
Fresh berrie
Butter

DIRECTIONS:
1 Beat eggs and milk together. Add the Triple Sec, orange zest, and cinnamon. Whisk until well blended. Pour into a shallow bowl.

2 Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture. Melt some butter (or use vegetable oil) over a skillet on medium high heat. Add as many slices of bread onto the skillet as will fit at a time. Fry until brown on both sides, flipping the bread when necessary.
3 Serve hot with butter, maple syrup, and fresh berries.
Wait for your applause.

Labels:

posted by Jules at 6:16 PM

1 Comments:

With GREAT content, spelling doesn't matter!

Mel

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home